What are Earth Floors?
- Also commonly called cob floors, poured adobe floors, rammed earth floors, clay floors or earthen floors.
- An earth floor consists of a combination of clay, sand and fibre. We have developed a two coat system to suit most flooring needs.
- The earth floor is poured wet, and finished with oil and wax, which gives a hard and waterproof finish. You can mop an earth floor once it is sealed.
Why are they so beneficial?
- The earth floor is an environmentally low impact solution. It was a very low embodied energy.
- They save you money on your heating and cooling bills. The earthen floor acts as a thermal battery in your house. This keeps your room cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
- The finish coat can be pigmented to match your room and can be supplied in a range of finishes.
- Earth floors are slightly soft to the touch, which gives improved room acoustics and can relieve joint pain.
- Our Earthen floor mix can be installed on top of existing flooring systems, or directly on subsoil grade.